Stony Wold US Local TB seals are listed in Green’s Catalog, and were issued in 1912 (#3003) as a booklet pane of 6, 1913 (#3004) as booklet pane of 20, and a window label (#3005), and in 1948 (#3006) as a sheet of 50. Their use of the Double Barred Cross, the international symbol of the fight against Tuberculosis predates our National Christmas Seal by seven years. In January, 2018, while sorting an old stock, John Denune, Sr discovered unlisted booklet panes of 3 of the 1912 issue.
Located in the Adirondacks at Lake Kushaqua, NY, the hospital was founded in 1901 by Mrs. James Edward Newcomb, with the support of her husband Dr. James Newcomb, a member of the medical staff of Roosevelt Hospital in New York City. Before his death in 1912, he and his wife conferred with Dr. Edward L. Trudeau, founder of Trudeau Sanatarium in Saranac Lake, NY. Dr. Trudeau suggested there was a great need for a separate institution serving tubercular girls and women.
Herself, a victim of TB, Mrs. Newcomb recovered at a Working Girls Vacation Society Camp in Santa Clara, NY, where in the late 1800’s she became interested in the welfare of undernourished girls in the city. Stony Wold was a non sectarian hospital for girls and women in the beginning stages of TB, and at the time of Mrs. Newcomb’s death in 1938, the hospital had treated approximately 4,500 patients.
From 1912 to 1915 their receipts were nearly a half a million dollars. With this, they erected a complex of buildings to care for and house over 100 patients (on average in 1915). Like the Trudeau Sanatorium, Stony Wold did not offer it's services free of charge, but there were many ways the costs were carried, including fundraising. Physicians did a complete X-Ray series for $10. The cost for residential treatment was $24.50 a week, excluding laundry.
There were four levels of Membership to support the Stony Wold Sanatorium:
1) Member $10
2) Patron $25
3) Donor $50
4) Founder $100
1920's silent film about Stony Wold Sanatorium